Healthy and well-motivated employees can have a positive impact on an organisation, so it stands to reason that there is a strong business case for the promotion of employee`s health in the workplace. Put simply, good health means good business.
Traditionally, when people think of health in the workplace, they often refer to health and safety and how they can ensure that they’re meeting their legal health and safety responsibilities. Although it’s important to focus on traditional health and safety issues within the workplace, such as workplace hazards and safe working methods, you should also address non work-related factors that may not be covered in health and safety legislation.
The “investment” in workplace health promotion allows employers to taking active steps to provide information to your employees to encourage them to adopt healthy lifestyle choices which aims to improve employee health and wellbeing.
Promoting a healthy workforce
As an employer, there are many things you can do to help create a healthy, safe and positive workplace for your employees. For example, there are some simple steps that employers can put into place to encourage workplace wellbeing, thus addressing the effect poor working environments have on the health of the workforce. They include:
- Promote a healthy culture at work, explaining how lifestyle choices affect health and wellbeing at work.
- Allow employees to participate in, and consult with, workplace health initiatives.
- Offer training to all staff, such as courses on workplace health and safety and mental health, one of the most common causes of sickness absence.
- Educate employees on the effect of drugs and alcohol and support staff to give up smoking.
- Support flexible working arrangements, such as part-time work, flexi-time or working from home.
Further information can be found in NG13 “Workplace Health: management practices” from the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence published in 2016.
What are the benefits of workplace health promotion?
Workplace health promotion can include many different elements, and organisations will choose to focus on the issues that are most relevant to them.
By promoting workplace health and creating a positive and healthy workplace for your employees, your company will benefit from:
- employees who are more motivated and productive;
- reduced absence – healthy, motivated workers are less likely to take sick days;
- reduced staff turnover, recruitment and training costs;
- an enhanced reputation as a positive, caring organisation;
- reduced insurance and compensation costs.
Please contact the Health and Work Consultancy by clicking here or give us a call to discuss your workplace health needs.