The Health and Work Consultancy Ltd Workplace Driver medical is a general health assessment that is mainly focused on car drivers (Group 1 vehicles).
The OH assessment can only confirm the individuals’ fitness for driving at the time of assessment and we recommend that the organisation has a policy on driving that includes information on:
- Individuals ensuring that they feel fit and safe to drive prior to starting driving
- Individuals considering the effects a health condition or medication may have on their ability to drive safely and whether they need to report it to the DVLA and their manager.
- The importance of taking regular breaks to help prevent tiredness and poor concentration and also to help prevent muscle stiffness and discomfort
- The procedure individuals should follow if they have any concerns regarding their fitness for driving.
Drivers who have had, or currently suffer from a medical condition or disability that may affect their driving must tell the DVLA. They must also notify the DVLA if they develop a new condition or disability or if a condition has become worse since their licence was issued. Failure to notify the DVLA is a criminal offence. More information is available on the DVLA website.
Vocational Driver Health assessment takes approximately 45 minutes and includes:
- Face to face assessment with an Occupational Health Advisor
- A confidential Medical Questionnaire
- Height, weight, blood pressure and urine test
- Assessment of mobility
- Vision screening (distance, night, colour, visual fields and double vision)
- Health Education and lifestyle advice
These will enable your organisation to meet your obligations within the law, and prevent work accidents, as well as benefiting employees’ health.
Further sources of Information
- Health and Safety Executive guidance on medical standards for vocational drivers
- Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency - Assessing fitness to drive - a guide for medical professionals
If you have any questions about Company Car driver assessments or any other occupational health services for your business in South Wales or the South of England, don't hesitate to call us on 02920 682028 or Contact us.